THE BULWARKS OF THE FAITH
By James M. Gray
A Brief and Popular Treatise on the Evidences of Christianity, or the Authenticity, Truth and Inspiration of the Holy Scriptures
Arranged with Questions for use in Bible Institutes and Training Schools by JAMES M. GRAY, D.D.
Minister in the Reformed Episcopal Church; Author of The Synthetic Study of the Bible; Instructor in the Bible Institute, Chicago; Gordon Missionary Training School, Boston.
PUBLISHED BY CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE PUBLISHING CO, NYACK AND NEW YORK. COPYRIGHTED 1899 REV. A. B. SIMPSON.
This work is in three parts: (1) The Authenticity of the NT/OT, Growth of the OT, Higher Criticism of Pentateuch, Growth of the NT. (2) Truth of Bible seen in its need and historical existence, character and contents, testimony of Jesus Christ, in its achievements. (3) the Argument for inspiration, objection, and difficulties.
1. The Authenticity of the New Testament 9
2. The Authenticity of the Old Testament 16
3. The Growth of the Old Testament 24
4. The Higher Criticism of the Pentateuch 30
5. The Growth of the New Testament 49
6. The Truth of the Bible Proven by Its Need and Its Historical Existence 63
7. The Truth of the Bible Proven by the Character of Its Contents 74
8. The Truth of the Bible Proven by the Testimony of Jesus Christ 89
9. The Truth of the Bible Proven by Its Achievements 103
10. The Argument for Inspiration 117
11. The General Objections to Inspiration 129
12. The Special Objection to the Inspiration of the Words of Scripture 137
13. The Difficulties in the Way of Verbal Inspiration 147
This book gives the gist of the Author’s lectures on the themes of which it treats, and which have been given from time to time to Seminary and Training School students, and also before more popular gatherings, in Y. M.
C. A. lecture courses and elsewhere. It is hoped it may be useful to those who have not access to larger books, or perhaps the time or ability to use them. The questions accompanying each chapter are in tended to take the place of an index, and may possibly increase the value of the book as an introductory text-book for teachers in Bible Institutes, and Nor mal Training classes whose number is constantly growing, and to whose efficiency for their particular work the Au thor would be glad to contribute.
|Date:||February 4, 2015|
MySwordmodules is a website dedicate to the MySword Bible Program for Androird devices. We host MySword Modules.
Statistics for 2013
Year Total Unique Visitors: 27,744
Year Total Visits: 75,932
Year Total Pages Viewed: 273,555
Year Total Data Downloaded: 15.10GBs